Safety Information: Cylinder Oxygen
Doctor’s Prescription: Oxygen at __ liters per minute __
- Well-ventilated area (not in a closet).
- Away from walls, drapes, curtains, bedspreads, etc.
- Away from combustible materials (grease, lotions, solvents, etc.).
- At least 8 feet from heat sources (smoking, matches, stoves, heaters, toasters, hair dryers, etc.)
- Do not cover or drape anything around cylinder..
- Turn on cylinder by turning cylinder valve in a counterclockwise (toward the left) direction. Open valve two (2) to three (3) turns.
- Adjust liter flow:
- Gauge Flowmeter: turn the flow adjustment knob (usually to the right) while observing the position of the indicator needle on the FLOW GAUGE until prescribed liter flow is indicated by the needle.
- “Tube” Flowmeter: adjust the knob until the middle of the ball is at the prescribed liter flow.
- Fit the nasal cannula to face:
- Insert the 2 prongs into nose: prongs must point upward and curve into nostrils.
- Slide tubing over and behind each ear.
- Slide adjuster upward under the chin - NOT TOO TIGHT!
- Use the oxygen:
- At the prescribed liter flow - no more no less.
- For the number of hours each day as prescribed.
- For the prescribed activities.
Cleaning and disinfection:
- Clean Tubing, Nasal Cannula and Humidifier Jar as directed in the Cleaning Instructions provided to you.
- Cylinder and Regulator: if necessary wipe concentrator cabinet with clean, damp (water only) cloth. never spray anything on or into regulator,such as fantastic, formula 409, pinesol, etc.
- Clean concentrator supplies as directed.
- Never smoke while using the concentrator.
- Keep away from open flame.
- Use only in a well-ventilated area.
- Never use oil based products, such as:
- Oily lotions or creams.
Troubleshooting - no oxygen flowing from nasal cannula:
- Check for Loose tubing connections;
- Check for Loose humidifier jar,;
- Check for Bubbles in humidifier or place nasal cannula in glass of water and check for bubbles;
- Cylinder is turned off.
- Cylinder is empty.
- Liter flow has been turned off.
Call your oxygen provider's office (telephone number provided in your Customer Information Handbook) if you have problems or questions.